Double Chocolate-Mint Mousse Cookies

I was dying to make this month's #baketogether recipe from Abby Dodge.  However, with me being on a very strict (self imposed) diet, I couldn't eat any of them. Not a one.  I didn't even lick my fingers when I accidentally got batter on them.

All that being said, I love to bake!  And seriously, if I have to give up everything I love in exchange for a healthy lifestyle, forget it. It's not going to fly.  So I made these cookies and I wallowed in the aroma as they baked in the oven.

Double Chocolate Mint Mousse Cookie Recipe


I made just a few minor tweaks to Abby's original recipe and to be honest, I have no idea how they taste, but I do know they look good, darn good! :)  

Really though, my husband says they're "really good" but my oldest son, who isn't a big fan of mint says they're "just OK".  Really?  He should have thought long and hard about his answer because I was in no mood to hear that at this point...but I digress... 

Funny thing is, I made him take a bunch to his friends house just to get them out of mine, and today I'm going to have my husband take the remainder with him to the Bears game and share them with his sister and his dad.  See, I knew there is always be a good reason to get my "bake on".

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MINT MOUSSE COOKIES    {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract*
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted*
powdered sugar for dusting

For the chocolate filling:

1/2 bag of chocolate mint baking chips*
2 tablespoons butter*

-Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
-Line a few cookie sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking liners.
-In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Whisk until blended.
-In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cocoa powder.  Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until well blended.  Scrape down the bowl.  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
-Add the vanilla and peppermint extract.
-Add the melted chocolate (which has been cooled) and mix on low speed until blended.
-Add the flour mixture, 1/3 at a time and blend well after each addition, until completely incorporated.
-Scrape down the bowl.
-Using a mini ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto your parchment lined baking sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart to allow for expansion while baking.
-Bake, one sheet at a time, until the cookies are puffed and the tops are cracked and look dry, about 11 to 13 minutes.
-When the cookies are just out of the oven and working quickly, make a small, deep well in the center of the cookies using the back side of a teasoon measuring spoon (*Note - to make your life easier, spray the back of the spoon with non stick cooking spray).
-Continue with the remainingg dough and bake accordingly.
-Allow your cookies to cool completely and then dust the tops with powdered sugar.
-In a microwave on 75% power, melt the chocolate mint pieces with the butter at short intervals to make sure it doesn't burn.  Stir to blend.
-Fill a squeeze bottle (or you can use a zip lock bag with the bottom corner snipped off, after filling) with the melted chocolate.
-Fill each cookie well with a nice dollop of melted chocolate.
-Allow the melted chocolate to harden slightly before serving.













Double Chocolate Mint Mousse Cookie Recipe

The yield on this for me was 2-1/2 dozen.  On Abby's original recipe the yield states 4 dozen.  Don't know what I did wrong but in all honesty, I'm glad I only have 2-1/2 dozen to worry about. The less temptation at this point the better.

*denotes the changes I made to the original recipe

It's really weird writing a post on a recipe when I haven't tasted it to describe the flavors to you, but if smell and ease of preperation mean anything (and you know they do...) this recipe is a total winner and one I'll be anxious to try again in a few months time when I'm down to my fighting weight :)

Thanks Abby!!!  Keep the wonderful #baketogether recipes coming.  I had a blast in the kitchen with you!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,